Ageless Beauty- No Surgery Needed
A word that makes most women cringe. We live in a world that puts so much pressure on us to maintain our youth at any cost. The reality is, this is impossible. Surgery can help I suppose, but do women ever feel “young” enough even after the thousands of dollars they spend on these painful procedures? Cosmetic surgery can’t fix ones internal struggles and unhappiness. There must be a way to find more purpose than just the psychical right? Or to at least help the psychical look as “youthful” as possible, but in a natural and safe way. How can women age but still manage to feel good about themselves in the process?
The inspiration for this story came from a friend of mine who mentioned to me that I need to write a blog story that isn’t just catered to younger women. Most of what I write is from life experience, so truth be told, I hadn’t really thought about this before. She then proceeded to tell me that once she turned 50, she suddenly felt invisible. This made me terribly sad, but inspired to chat with more women about this thing called aging. When some women turn 50, it’s this slap in the face. Your kids are grown up and out of the house, you haven’t been living for yourself for many years because you were busy being a mom, you’re no longer in the “40’s are the new 30’s” stage, and suddenly life just feels… flat.
A beautiful client of mine Suzanne Martin, is the creator of the hit show Hot In Cleveland. This show centers around 4 women who move to Cleveland because they felt invisible in Los Angeles. Once in Cleveland, men suddenly started looking at them again, and they feel, well, HOT! I told Suzanne about my blog story, and she had a few things to say. “There certainly is truth in feeling less looked at or looked through as you get older, especially in Los Angeles where the young and glamourous from around the world come to be stars. The other side of it is that, rather than looking at what you’ve lost, you can look at it as a time of re-invention and start being “visible” for something other than being young. All the actresses on my show ages ranging from 49-89 work hard to look their absolute best, but they also exude the kind of confidence and self-assuredness that gets them noticed despite their age.”
Part of aging is learning how to deal with loss. Love yourself for more than the external. Don’t look for people’s attention to make you still feel desired and wanted, find it within, and once you do you will radiate to people and get their attention. Make sense?
“My happiness depends on me, so you’re off the hook.”
So once you’re feeling good on the inside, now it’s time to do some healthy work on the outside. It’s so frustrating how easily we get roped into purchasing wrinkle creams, age defying masks, yada yada yada. We are on a quest to do the right thing, and if we don’t know any better, of course we are going to believe infomercials with Cindy Crawford promoting her secret remedy that will make us have skin just like her, and possibly make us look like her too. If only you knew how many millions of dollars are spent on advertising. The cosmetic industry is a HUGE business and unfortunately we are all the suckers. If you’re up for a great read, you should check out No More Dirty Looks- The Truth about Your Beauty Products and the Ultimate Guide to Safe and Clean Cosmetics. This book breaks down the cosmetic industry big time, and is extremely enlightening and eye opening. A must read for all women.
So if we don’t purchase products from television that tell us “we are worth it” what are we supposed to do? That’s where Geri G., my favorite aesthetician and skin trainer, comes into play. Geri is an incredibly special woman, and when I told her about this story, she was excited to share some of her secrets with us. Geri has been working in the skin care industry for over 14 years, wrote a book Eating For Better Skin 10 Simple Steps, and developed her own anti aging ingredient Nanomarine-5. She is legit. I learn something new from her every time I see her, and I trust her 100%. Here’s a bit of what she had to say about aging…
“So you want to reverse this thing called “aging”. Well let’s get to the root of aging, especially for women. It’s Hormones! I’m going to give you some real information and real tips that you need to be in the know about when it comes to managing your life and rebuilding a positive attitude about how you feel with age and all that it entails. Changes in your skin, weight gain, lack of muscle mass, sagging skin, low libido, poor ability to handle stress and or a loss of a sense of well-being. All these symptoms are just that… symptoms. Symptoms are the bodies way of telling you that something is not right with it’s normal routine and it wants you to pay attention and do something about it”, says Geri.
Easy Tips to Balance Hormones Naturally:
– Walk at least 15 minutes a day. If you can do more than that, then go for it. Try varying your walk by incorporating different terrain. Your walk should be enjoyable not grueling. Keeping exercise enjoyable is the key to maintaining a exercise routine.
– Sweating at least 15 minutes a day will help the body rid itself of toxins through the skin. Sauna’s are a great way to detox and will help your skin look great, and your body and mood will be balanced and calm. Geri suggests using an Infrared Sauna if possible for optimal detoxification and health. I had never heard of an infrared sauna, but looked them up online and they are everywhere!
– Drink 64 oz of water a day. Drinking this much water will help to keep you full, keep your body working, and flush you out. It’s easier than you think, so try it.
– Geri recommends juicing. Dark leafy green vegetables like spinach, kale, parsley, ginger, cucumber, and a slash of lemon.
– Sleep at least 8 hours a night. If sleep is a struggle for you, Geri recommends GABA, Melatonin, or Valerian Root to help. She also says a hot bath 2 hours before bedtime is great too.
Important Ingredients To Look For In Skin Care Products:
-Alpha Lipoic Acid
Foods Good for Healthy Skin and Hair:
– Lemons. Add lemons to water, tea, salads.
– Green tea. Try replacing your morning coffee with green tea with lemon.
– Dark green vegetables. If you struggle to eat these, there are supplements you can take to replace the vegetables. I take Probiotic Berry Green by New Chapter Organics from Whole foods.
– Blueberries. Antioxident rich fruits and foods are essential.
– Salmon. High in healthy fatty acids. Walnuts and flax seeds are also great.
– Water. Water, water, and more water.
Love yourself for more than the psychical, find happiness within, eat correctly for healthy skin, body, and hair, and ENJOY LIFE!
Do you have any natural anti aging tips to share? Let’s all help each other out!
*Note: Geri G. is located at 916 1/2 N. la Cienega Blvd. West Hollywood, Ca. 90069 #1.866.791.9984