Do Hair Products Really Work?
Victoria’s Secret Hair Puuuhlease!
Oh what a business advertising and marketing is! Millions of dollars spent to make us believe we NEED a product. We all know those Pantene Pro-V commercials that promise thick, shiny, healthy, strong, PERFECT hair. AND Gisele Bundchen is a promoter of the product, so she MUST use them on her own hair right? I mean, her hair is perfect, and she’s a Victoria’s Secret model, so maybe if we use Pantene products we will have her body too? Let’s be honest. Do you think Gisele uses a $5 shampoo and conditioner from Ralph’s super market? And while I’m at it, do you think Beyonce and Eva Longoria only color their hair at home with Loreal, because they are worth it? NO! Who wouldn’t rep a product if you were getting paid millions of dollars to do so? And if it were all so easy, we would all be walking around with perfect hair and we would live happily ever after… the end.
Now that I’ve probably broken your heart, I want to tell you that there is still hope for your thin, fine, hair. Unfortunately Hair Thickening products alone will not give you the Victoria’s Secret hair that you are desperate for. Those models have lots of hair extensions, teasing, curling, and professional stylists doing their hair to make it huge (and sexy). Shampoo’s, conditioners, styling products that claim to “thicken” hair may do so, but it’s a temporary change. These products have ingredients in them that adhere to the cuticle of your hair to make it fatter in a way. On the flip side if you use too much of these products it will actually weigh your hair down and make it look even finer. Our genetics are at fault here. Screw them. BUT I do have some professional tried and tested tips that can help you out…
*Highlight or color your hair! This can add lift and dimension to your flat looking hair.
*Hair Powder works wonders! Not only does it absorb oil in your hair that can weigh it down, if you spray it all over your roots and throughout your hair, tease it a little bit all over, it will stay and look great! Hair powder is my savior for everything (Klorane is my fav).
* Keep conditioner ONLY on the ends of your hair, and maybe skip it here and there if your hair is healthy. Be sure to completely rinse out and shampoo or conditioner in the shower.
* Apple a styling product to towel dried hair, like Bumble and bumble Thickening Spray or Ample Angora by Shu Uemura, and blow dry your hair up side down. Rough it up at your roots.
* Hair extensions are an incredible way to literally add more hair to your head. They aren’t cheap, especially the good ones, but they can be life changing and way worth the investment ( I should know, I have them). Consult your stylist and find out if this may be a good option for you.
* Using a boar bristle round brush while you blow dry can create lots of volume. Separate your hair into sections, and round brush each section. You may want to schedule a hair lesson with your hair stylist to teach you how
* Curl some sections of your hair, let the curl cool, and then brush them out. This will add lots of texture and create some mass in your hair. Spray a lightweight styling spray on the section before and after you curl. I like Oribe Anti Humidity Spray and Does It All by Bumble and bumble.
* Biotin is a supplement you can purchase at Whole Foods. It helps promote hair growth and can help to strengthen your hair. All works hand in hand.
Lastly, learn to love what you got! Stop comparing everything about yourself to someone else! For every person with thin hair who wants thick hair, there is a person with thick hair who wants thin hair! Trust me, I hear it ALL the time! We are all beautiful in our own ways. Just try something new with your hair, and rock it with confidence!